Over the past three years, threats to personal security have increased. Please be aware of this, educate your loved ones about safety precautions, and reach out to the insurance team at BNC to ensure your valuables are properly insured.
2020 was a big year. During the epidemic, violence increased by 5%, according to a FBI, and homicides have increased by 30%. The Council on Criminal Justice homicides are expected to increase in 2021, based on crime statistics collected from 22 cities.
New York City has also seen an increase in violent crime. The New York Police Department (NYPD) says that from June 2021 to June 2022, crime has increased by 31.1%. Stealing was up 36.1% and robbery was up 33.8%. The NYPD also saw a 4% increase in gun arrests.
In another recent example of violent crime in the city. NBC New York Reports say two men disguised themselves as FedEx employees to attack a Bronx apartment, and one of the intruders shot him.
According to The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB), car theft increased by 9.2% in 2020, and the biggest increase was seen in the second half of the year. The boom looks set to continue until 2021. The Council on Criminal Justice It is estimated that car theft rates will increase by 14% in 2021.
Thieves don’t always steal the whole car. Sometimes they just take a handy switch, a tool that contains precious metals. The The cost of NICB It is estimated that catalytic converter theft increased by 325% in 2020.
Most carjackings are carried out in private, but some criminals are more daring. In another recent example, NBC New York Two robbers allegedly beat a 71-year-old man and took his keys after he stopped his car in Brooklyn. The incident took place in the afternoon.
The FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center received 847,376 complaints in 2021, from 791,790 in 2020 and 467,361 in 2019. Ransomware threats have increased, as well as other online crimes, including love scams. In these methods, fraudsters use fake online identities to gain the victim’s trust and affection, and then extort money. Cryptocurrency schemes were another popular complaint in 2021, with meteorologists often seen as legitimate support or protection for cryptocurrency exchanges.
Protect Yourself from Personal Security Threats
There are many different threats, so it’s important to be vigilant.
- Avoid making yourself an easy target or lure for criminals. Know your surroundings, walk in well-lit areas and avoid walking alone. Also avoid flashing cash or wearing or carrying expensive items that may attract thieves. Be especially careful when using an ATM or shopping. For more information on how to stay safe, see NYPD Crime Prevention Book.
- Keep your house. Lock your door, and make sure your windows, sliding glass doors and other doors are secure. Consider upgrading your security system and beware of burglars who may pose as employees to break into your home.
- Keep your car safe. The NHTSA it is said that if possible you should park the car in a well-lit area. Additionally, keep your car locked, and don’t leave important keys in your car. Visual and audible anti-theft devices, immobilizers and auto recovery systems can also be smart investments.
- Learn how to recognize and avoid scams. Hackers are very successful at impersonating companies and organizations. Beware of urgent or threatening requests. When in doubt, do not click on any links or provide any information. You can always check the organization’s messages and contact them yourself if you are concerned that there is a problem.
- Beware of romantic ways. People are not always who they say they are online. They may make promises that they have no intention of keeping. Beware of requests for money or personal information.
- Keep your devices and accounts secure. Use strong, unique passwords, multi-factor authentication and anti-virus software. The The cost of the FTC warns that public Wi-Fi is a security risk, so you should avoid using it to access financial or personal information.
When threatened by a criminal, always prioritize your safety over your property. At BNC, we can help you secure your homeowner’s insurance, auto insurance and fixed assets insurance. Learn more.